Sorry, nothing in cart.
Flower Care and Handling Advice
Flower Care Tips and How-Tos
Most floral arrangements last 4-7 days or longer, depending on the flowers used and the care they receive. The Society of American Florists provides these tips for longer-lasting, more vibrant flowers:
Care for loose or boxed flower bunches
Follow these steps!
- Keep your flowers in a cool place until you can get them in a flower food solution. Don’t forget how important it is to follow the mixing directions on the flower food packet.
- Fill a clean, deep vase with water and add flower food from your florist.
- Remove leaves that will be below the waterline. Leaves in water will promote bacterial microbial growth that may limit water uptake by the flower.
- Re-cut stems by removing one to two inches with a sharp knife. Place the flowers in the vase solution you’ve prepared.
Care for Hand-Designed Floral Arrangements or Bouquets
- Keep the vase filled (or floral foam soaked) with water. Flower foods make flowers last longer but it is important to follow the mixing directions on the flower food packet. Most packets are to be mixed with either a pint or a quart of water. Flower foods should not be diluted with more water than is specified on the packet.
- If the water becomes cloudy, replace it entirely with new water. If possible, re-cut stems by removing one to two inches with a sharp knife. Be sure to use a sharp knife or clippers that will not crush the stems. Immediately place the stems into solution.
- Keep flowers in a cool spot (65 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit), away from direct sunlight, heating or cooling vents, or directly under ceiling fans. Most flowers will last longer under cool conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Flower Care answered by Your Real Local Florist serving The Bronx, White Plains, Yonkers and Valhalla, NY; and Stamford and Greenwich, CT!
Following is specific care advice straight from Polished Petal Florist owner and chief floral designer, Joe Edwards:
Question: How do I make my flowers last longer? You can extend the life and value of your flower purchase from us by cutting the stems, pruning your flowers and replacing the water every few days after purchase. We provide a packet of flower food but you can always stop by to get more. Also, some flowers varieties last longer than others. We recommend you take out those flowers whose time has past and rearrange the remaining flowers.
Question: How long should my arrangement last? We offer a 7-day guarantee on all our fresh products. If you have any issues, concerns or questions, please call us at the shop at (914) 664-0035! As we mentioned in the previous answer, we have recommendations to extend the life of your flowers.
Question: Should I add something to the water to help my flower arrangement? With all the rumors floating around about sprite, vodka and even pennies this is a frequent question. The answer is no. The best additive is the flower food provided. These companies have invested years and dollars coming up with the right formula to keep your flowers staying fresh as long as possible. If you need more flower food, please stop by the shop!
Question: Is flower food included? Flower food is included with all our flower arrangements and bouquets. If you run out of food and would like more, please visit our shop for more!
Question: Are flower care instructions included? Flower care instructions are included printed on all care cards included with our arrangements. If you have additional questions feel free to call our shop, and ask us for more advice on how to extend the life of your flowers. We look forward to being your local flower experts.